Thursday, July 3, 2014

The wonderful world of Jacob Vaughn


The legendary erffdogg was once asked if he had any favorite players in HBD. His answer was that of a reasonable middle aged man who partakes in fun sim game. He answered "no", and he treats the game like a tax return if one enjoyed completing their own tax returns.


Not only do I not complete my own taxes, I also fall deeply in love with individual players. Particularly, players that I've drafted and groomed to be ML level All-Stars.


So I heart Jacob Vaughn. Sure, he's not on my squad. But I still follow his starts for the Tucson Sidewinders.


How can you not heart a guy who put a 141-58 record with a career 2.57 ERA in 7 and half big league seasons? Add that to his 4 Cy Youngs, 3 no hitters, Rookie of the Year, 6 AS appearances, etc.


So in my alternative sim universe Jacob Vaughn is dating Kate Upton AND Katy Perry. Neither one has a problem with it. He spends his off seasons on a private island where the most interesting man in the world looks to Mr. Vaughn for advise.


Maybe the other reason I like him so much is because he's not in my league or my division. If he was, perhaps I wouldn't enjoy his dominance near as much.


Much like the Yankees in real life where "everyone eventually plays for the Yankees" I fully intend for him to be in pinstripes. Sure his velocity will probably be 58 instead of 85. Sure his splits will be well diminished and he'll be a shell of his former Kate Upton dating self. But marks my words, he'll be a Yankee.

No comments: